Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Remembrance Day/Book Week



It's Book Week here at CCS which means we're doing a whole lot of reading in this school. We are reading with a purpose again this year. We would like to get our school goal of 750 books so we can have pizza. Each classroom will also have a prize for the person who has read the most books.

Book Week always comes a little early in the school year for me and my Grade One class, but that's why it's nice to have a double grade. Each Grade One student has a partner in Grade Two they read their little paper book to and then their Grade Two partner reads to them. It's all rather heartwarming to watch my classroom full of children reading to each other! I just had to take a video to show you :)

But videos aren't very easy to get off the internet and develop into photographs, so I've got pictures as well. Each day the students rotate their partner since there aren't enough Grade Ones to match up with Grade Two. Some Grade Two students need to read on their own during D.E.A.R. time even though they'd rather read to their Grade One friends












.

.

.

.

.

CCS at the Cenotaph

For the first time while I've been at CCS the whole school headed off to the cenotaph for Remembrance Day. I must admit I was always a little envious of the upper grades when they went, so this year went together.

My cool shot. Yeah totally accidental...I suppose I shouldn't have told you that eh?



Our school gathered up to wait for the service. It ended up that we chose the wrong side to wait on. Next year we'll know better!


Awww. Such cute sibs.





See why we were on the wrong side? The colour guard marched in and stood in front of us for the entire service. Some of us wedged in between them to get a better look around :)


This was the favourite part for most of us in our class. They were rather impressed with all the people laying wreaths. I was most impressed with the Mounties :)


Here we are singing In Flanders' Fields.


On the rockin' bus ride home. Cutie pies!



3 comments:

amymom24 said...

Mounties, eh?

lilly said...

your mother has loose lips! ;)

Anonymous said...

poppies galore but thats what you get on remambrance day eh miss j