It figures that I, of all people, would have a photographic recap of my rather adventurous weekend eh? In case you hadn't heard, I have broken my tibia and fibula at my ankle. I couldn't believe it either when they told me.
But here is the moment of truth. You can see how my left knee is high in the air, and my left foot is still on the sled. Right about here my right foot has slipped to the inside of the sled, and the right runner is sliding right over it. Ankles are not made to be bent 90 degrees to the right. You may see on my face that I've immediately noticed I've done a very bad thing.
Landing after my very bad thing. I couldn't move my foot at all. Many, many thanks to Wilma, Kim and Lori who helped me hobble ever so slowly to Kim's van for the trip to the hospital. Many thanks to the moms and dad who stayed behind to watch the young 'uns who proceeded to have a grand time on the hill. The shouts of "miss j, move out of the way" were, I'm afraid, not received too graciously by their teacher.
Many, many, MANY more thanks to Kim for driving me to the hospital and staying with me for hours and hours until we heard the not so pleasant news of what I had done to myself. Here I'm in the waiting room, waiting for my trip to x-rays. They had pulled my boot off by then...
...but I don't think this picture really shows how swollen my ankle was. My boot had been tightly tied and kept all the blood from pooling in my foot. It instead made a grapefruit sized lump at my ankle. I haven't really seen my ankle since then...
I was living in blissful ignorance after x-rays figuring for sure that I had either sprained my ankle badly or torn some ligaments since I couldn't move the foot. That happy bubble burst when I was brought into a room to be splinted for a cast. "A cast?? I broke it?"
"You did indeed. You broke two bones."
"I broke two bones?!!?!!"
"Yes and you'll need surgery to repair it."
"I need SURGERY??!!"
That was a slight approximation of my shock and disbelief. I still can't believe I did that.
Here I am in the hospital just before my surgery. Bored to tears and feeling yucky.
But surgery went well, and I am now metal detector ready with a plate and screws on the right side of my ankle and some screws holding the left side of my ankle together.
And here I am, back home again, all casted up and very happy to be in the comfy confines of my many, many staired apartment. I still need to visit the doctor at the end of the week and get another cast to replace this temporary one. As to when I'll be back in school...I don't know. Walking around today with my crutches, and up my plethora of stairs has proven to be a rather exhausting experience.
Needless to say, 100 day isn't going to be happening on the 100th day of school. I'll keep you posted!





5 comments:
it must of hurt i've had the experiance i broke my arm when i was four turning five and i broke my finger in grade one it does hurt but i loved the attension
The lengths one will go to fuel the creative process Miss J!! :)
Amazing to have captured a picture of that precise moment!
But there you have it - surviving your first broken bone....and only weeks after lauding a lifetime of no accidents w/ a broken bone. Surreal.
*sigh* And here I am so many miles and weeks removed from being of any service whatsoever...
I pray there might be many 'angels' showing up at your door to refresh you in body and spirit!
Luv you Miss J, keep your chin up as well as your leg!
Oh no!!!!! So sorry to hear about your broken ankle, Miss J! Can't believe you actually have pics - at least you'll be able to look back on them and laugh one day:)
Hope you can get up and around again soon, and make sure you REST in the meantime!
Yes, surviving my first bone break. 'Tis surreal indeed. I am currently camped out on my couch, leg elevated and resting.
I was taken out this morning by some 'angels' to renew my expired health card and it was rather an exhausting experience. It makes me think I am not yet ready to enter the classroom.
Isn't it amazing that I have a picture of me doing it? I should print it and show it to my surgeon on Thursday!
Maybe then I will laugh about it. Well...maybe not yet!
First of all, I heard from my mom about the fact that you had an accident and I checked out the blog to get the details. I would postpone 100 day too if I were you. I don't know what you are going to do (I'll check it out) but I helped with one recently and it was a ton of fun.
Cheryl J.
Post a Comment