Saturday, December 08, 2007

What? I blog?? Maybe I oughtta put pictures up then...

We did it! Our reading thermometer was growing slowly at first, but we got to 100,000+ pages and raised more than $5,000 for ALS. Yay!
Grade One read madly and outread their teacher (but not by much!) who was also reading madly.



Those goofy kids... :) They were trying to make a 6 armed monster I think.


I love snow.
Really, I do.
And I love how the kids love to play in the snow. They're very busy outside constructing snow forts, and other than the battles over snow blocks, they're working very nicely together.





Off to the Calvin Gym
Kudos to the bus driver who drives us faithfully to the gym every week with a ginormous bucket of noodles right beside her.

We tromp into the school multi-layered. Phys. Ed. clothes underneath. Usually a sweater on top. Pants go over top of the shorts so my wee little kiddies don't get sick on the trek to and fro the school.
I'm getting quite good at pants snaps as they're quite hard to do up over top sometimes large sized school shorts.

Noodle tag!
There's nothing like Everybody's it tag to make you run. You can catch anyone and then when you're caught you sit down and then anyone can tag you back into the game. If you're a major target (ie. teacher) you don't have much time to run but you're up and down all game long.

Sometimes we have teams, blue team against all other colours and only blue noodle team members can save another blue team mate who got caught. Well, other than the teacher who seems to free people willy-nilly.


Here we're playing tag, but we have to stay on the lines. And you get in trouble when someone gets tagged and blocks the line you're running on!

Practising our over hand throw.




During our plant unit we planted some grass and then had some experimental containers: would the grass grow if we totally overwatered it? Shockingly yes it did.
Would it grow if we gave it no water? Nope.
Would it grow if we gave it no light? You betcha. And even taller than the rest of our plants, but no green colour!
The kids decided they'd rather see what would happen if we put it in the sun, rather than leave it in the closet longer. We saw a rapid change!
Day One
Day Two
Day Three

Pretty cool eh?
Wonderful Wednesday
We love choir.
I love choir, I get a chance to take pictures! Somehow I don't have as much time to take pictures as I used to.
Here we are warming up for class. And enjoying choir with the Grade 3/4 class who graciously allowed us to barge in on their time. (explanation later)


I love this -- they're all intent on the choir director (aka Mrs.
Twink!e). That is rule number one in choir class!



Eating Plants
Some of the plant food we chowed down on.


This may have been as exciting as eating the food: a new (temporary) desk formation.
Yum. Roots.


Oh how exotic this was: alphalfa sprouts!

Did you know cucumber is a fruit?
And their favourite plant part of all: seeds.

Treasure in an Oatmeal Box
We were enjoying the story, begun during book week, of Kim and her twin brother Kevin. Kevin was mentally disabled and he and his dog Wiggles got into many an adventure.
Unfortunately this ran into choir time..which was why we joined Grade 3/4! It's also a time when I can sit and watch the kids and enjoy their rapt expressions and take some pics.
Most fun may have been having Mrs. Twink!e in to read to us. And treat us again :)

Ooh an exciting part!
And a funny part!




And then!
Kevin got out of the house...
....he got lost in the cold...
...he was in the bitter cold for more than an hour...

...he was found...
...but then he died.
I was madly snapping pictures so I could swallow the lump in my throat and not cry. We had a good chat about this later on in library class. They're very observant and made a lot of good comments. They're good kids, your kids!


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kudos to Ms Twink!e for coming in to read to the kids..what a rewarding task when you see those faces captured so wonderfully by Miss J.
Thanks for letting us in on your days at school with your students! Keep it up!
A Poort :)

Anonymous said...

yeah... I thought Ms. Twinkle would be Heidi (character dress up day)... but then I read about Kevin... and realized it wasn't our Kev...:-). (a few of our children were wondering what all the fuss about Kevin was.) I love the way Ms. Twinkle (Mrs. Hordyk?) captured the students attention, and how you managed to catch them on your camera, with all the varying expressions! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

by the way... I was going to send a banana (for fruit)... but I only had 1! I didn't want the children to fight over it. So, at 5:00 a.m., I went on the internet to look for other fruits (hopefully, I would not have to shop at 6:00 a.m!) Yes... a cucumber... I can dice it up :-) !!!

Anonymous said...

mmmmmmmmmmmmm